Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Backhanded compliments... I think.

In the first meeting of CS315 (Game Programming), I was a little surprised that I left with very little impression of the students' feelings for the class. There was neither palpable excitement nor crushing dread. In good faith, I posed this question on Facebook, where I am friends with several of my students:

BSU student friends: after literally months of planning for CS315, I have to ask: what's the word the street after day one? I feel like folks from 345 would have some idea what to expect, but there were a lot of faces in the crowd that were completely unfamiliar to me.

Well, the responses were enlightening. Here are a few of my favorites:

  • "They HATE it! I heard on google that everyone in the class who wasn't in cs345 thinks you don't know what you're talking about."
  • "I hear horror stories. About your class. In Texas. Everyone is that scared."
  • "I won't come out of my bunker, for fear that I might accidentally stumble into this class."
  • "Heard about that massive traffic jam in China that's been stalled for ten days? It's because so many people are trying to crowd around the furthest point from this CS315 class."
  • "People are willing to choose poverty and low quality of life over the class of Dr. Gestwicki."
  • "You're a monster, Paul."

It's good to have friends!

1 comment:

  1. Having taken the CS345 class and spent time with you over the summer, I must say the newer bunch will be pleasantly surprised. It will take work, but what is most important is what they walk away from it with. Having read some of the outlines and other posts made about the class, I think it will be an interesting semester for them. Best of luck and don't torture them too much, the undergrad is a very fragile creature.

    ReplyDelete