Thursday, December 27, 2018

Planning CS445 Human-Computer Interaction for Spring 2019

Around the Christmas celebrations, I have spent many hours the past two weeks planning my Human-Computer Interaction course for Spring 2019. I wrote my reflection about the Fall semester back on December 8, and I just put the finishing touches on the Spring section's course plan before lunch today. Now, I would like to write up a few notes about some of the interesting changes I have in place.

First, though, a funny caveat. Since I originally designed the HCI class for CS majors, it has been CS345. Due to administrative busybodies, the course will now be numbered CS445 instead. Which label should I use for my blog posts? I think I'll switch over to "cs445" now, and I'll have to remember to use both codes when I'm searching for my old notes.

Canvas Grading Caveat
Prompted in part by my frustrating experience at the end of the Fall 2018 Game Design class, I have a more explicit statement on the course plan telling students to ignore Canvas' computed grade reports. I would always say this in class, but I did not have it explicitly in the course plan before. Also, I found out that I could mark assignments as not contributing to the final grade, in which case students will be able to see their assignment grade but not a false report of their "current" final grade, so I need to remember to mark all the assignments that way. Also also, please take a moment to consider the epistemological tragedy that is the concept, "current final grade."

Writing
I was surprised in the Fall when one of my more talented HCI teams brought up their project report, highlighted a place where I pointed out grammatical and spelling errors, and asked if they had lost points because of it. There are two things wrong with this question. The first is that it assumes the students had some points to lose in the first place, which is simply not true. I don't take away points from anyone; instead, I award points for demonstrating competence. You cannot take away something that someone doesn't have. The second, more pragmatic problem is that the students also had significant conceptual and descriptive problems in their report, but they seemed more concerned about the spelling and grammatical errors.

Last semester, I included a link to the public domain 1920 version of Strunk's Elements of Style, along with advice to read it. This time, I've made my expectations more explicit. On the evaluation page of the course plan, I have explained briefly the importance of writing and the fact that Elements of Style will provides my expected standards. I also explain there that I expect to give feedback on both conceptual problems and spelling or grammar problems, along with a primer about how to interpret that feedback. I thought about making an assignment around Elements of Style, but I decided against it, partially because I did not want to shift my early-semester plans ahead by a day. My professional opinion is that the book should be remedial to anyone who has a high school diploma, but I am also a realist about the variable quality of writing instruction these students may have received.

Software Architecture
It was a little disappointing to see so few teams really engaging with principles of quality software construction last semester. I have written about this before, and the students are aware that the culture of other classes is one that values only software output rather than software quality. I have carved out some design-related topics from the HCI class to make more time to work through examples of refactoring toward better architectures. I'm still working on the exact nature of these assignments, but I have a few notes to draw from. The schedule I have online right now actually goes right up to the point where I want to switch gears from design theory to software architecture practice.

Specifications Grading
After a positive experience in last semester's game programming class, I have converted my HCI class project grading scheme to specifications grading. I laid out my expectations for each level of poor (D), average (C), good (B), and excellent (A) grades. This was an interesting exercise for me, especially around the source code quality issues. Last semester, students could earn credit for following various rules of Clean Code, and a mixed grade simply meant that they got some and not others. Now, I have put all of these rules at the B level, to reflect the fact that "good" software is expected to follow such standards. For the A level, I've included demonstrated mastery of the software architectural issues mentioned above.

I had some fun with the Polymer-powered course site as well. My new custom element for presenting specification grading criteria uses lit-html to concisely express how they are presented. It took a bit for me to wrap my head around lit-html, but I think I have a good sense of it now. The other fun new feature I added was the ability to download the specifications as Markdown. The specifications are internally represented in a Javascript object, and that object is transformed into the Web view. Of course, with this model-view separation, it's reasonable to provide other views as well, such as Markdown. I used this StackOverflow answer to write some functions that convert the JSON object to downloadable Markdown. I hope that this makes it easy for students to write their self-evaluations in Markdown. I did not use checkboxes on the Web view, as I did for game programming last semester, because they don't copy and paste well. I hope that having the Markdown version available removes the need for students to manually copy over each criterion into their self-evaluation.

More Time on the Final Project
In addition to switching the evaluation scheme, I am giving more time to the final project. I decided to keep the short project as a warm-up, since it also provides a safe-fail environment as students pull together ideas such as personas, journey maps, user stories, and software quality into a coherent process. Some of my dates for the final project aren't quite sorted out yet, as I'm debating whether to take a purely agile approach or a milestone-driven one. The advantage of the latter is that I can specify exactly which design artifacts I want to see at each stage, and the level of fidelity I expect. However, I expect that I will follow the more iterative and incremental approach, but I've put off the final decision until the semester gets underway and I can get to know these students a bit.


We are continuing our relationship with the David Owsley Museum of Art, who have been a great partner. I look forward to working with them and seeing what my students can develop during the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment