Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Learning objectives for introductory game design: Continuing comparison against CS2013

I am giving a presentation in the Works-In-Progress session of the upcoming CCSC:Midwest conference. This short talk is connected to my post from April about mapping learning outcomes of game design to learning outcomes of Computer Science. Conversation on Facebook led me to understand that I had not fully explained my goals in that post, in large part because I had skipped the first part of the mapping: the learning objectives of introductory game design.

As far as I know, there is no standards body or recognized formal recommendations for game design curricula as there are with Computer Science, where we have the ACM/IEEE CS2013 curriculum recommendations. However, if you look at all the various introductory texts on game design, you will find significant overlap, although these are by their nature written along the lines of content rather than objectives. Each time I have taught game design as an Honors Colloquium or a Computer Science seminar, I have had to articulate the learning outcomes of the course; what I did this morning is reflect on this process in an attempt to pull out my current thoughts about what a student should learn from an introductory course. Here is my proposal:

After taking my introductory course in game design, a successful student will be able to:
  • Apply common analytical tools to existing games, examples being MDA (Hunicke), Formal vs Dramatic elements (Fullerton), and Interactive Forms (Burgun).
  • Identify positive and negative feedback loops in a game.
  • Critically analyze existing games in order to understand their component parts and describe their interactions, including such components as rules, theme, and narrative
  • Describe, apply, and justify iterative prototyping models to produce an original game.
  • Describe and apply formal techniques of playtesting.
  • Compose and present status reports.
I think this is a good number and granularity of items for how I like to introduce game design. Furthermore, having taught such courses for years, I think it's a good representation of the skills that students develop.

As I reflected on this list, though, I realized that there's another layer to the learning objectives. There are objectives that are implicit—objectives that are hiding in the cracks and in the details. Here's what I came up with as the shadow objectives:

A successful student will be able to

  • Read, understand, and critique book chapters, essays, and articles on game design.
  • Articulate specific, measurable design goals from ambiguous constraints and inspiration.
  • Incorporate feedback to improve a prototype and reflect on that process.
  • Incorporate feedback to improve analytical, compositional, and creative skills and reflect on that process.
The first one here is not to be overlooked. When I look at the design and goals of introductory computer science, learning how to read does not come up at all. I believe it also to be completely absent from CS2013. However, this is a crucial skill for someone who wants to be a lifetime learner.

The second is, perhaps, the most important skill that someone can learn in this class, and its transferable to any other creative domain. By "creative domain" here, I mean any that require creativity in the technical sense—the development of new ideas—so we can include all the sciences, engineering, and education along with the arts and humanities. More specifically, it is exactly this skill I want to see strengthened for nascent software developers and computer scientists: every day we have to manage ambiguity, transforming it into measurable goals and progress. Again, however, CS2013 has very little to say about this except for a couple of hours of requirements engineering. It may simply be a case that CS2013 is too deep into the weeds, but that's kind of my point: stepping back from the weeds, managing ambiguity and turning into concrete communications is something that a computer scientist does daily, but it's also something that is often ignored in curriculum and assessement, in my experience.

The third item is a clarification of the objective to apply playtesting techniques, but as above, there is something more potent here than just playtesting: it's about closing feedback loops to improve a product. Reflecting on this led me to compose the fourth bullet point, that it's not just about the feedback loops of the game but the feedback loops of the person. Maybe you might just call this "learning", yet I think there's not enough of this going on across our campus. For example, for a course to be considered a writing intensive course here has required that a student complete at least one draft-feedback-revise cycle. In my department, there are a few places where we practice this explicitly, and all of these are places that I have touched, which would not have this otherwise.

My next step in preparing for the presentation is to take this list, look back at my earlier post, and turn again to CS2013 to make sure that my points are clear. Right now, I have a feeling like the things I want to be emphasized by CS2013 are simply not in it at all, or at least not explicitly. It will be interesting to see the reactions of the generally-conventional conference attendees.

No comments:

Post a Comment