Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Learning about the Four Stages of Competence

I learned a new model of competence in a meeting with the High Impact Practices Assessment Task Force two weeks ago. I'm glad I jotted it in my notebook, since this brought it back to mind with an intention for a quick blog post.

My colleague Michael O'Hara mentioned a taxonomy of competence that goes, from lowest to highest:

  1. Unconscious incompetence
  2. Conscious incompetence
  3. Conscious competence
  4. Unconscious competence
He told me that this is widely used in his discipline of Theater Education, but I had never seen it before. A bit of searching led me to the Wikipedia entry, which refers to this as the Four Stages of Competence or the Conscious Competence learning model. Michael pointed out an interesting property of this progression: that, except for the lowest level, a learner can usually self-assess accurately.

When he brought this up at the meeting, my mind immediately went to the Dreyfus Model of Skill Acquisition, which is my go-to model for thinking about how learners' skills develop. The conscious incompetence level of the Four Stages of Competence model reminds me of the Competent level of Dreyfus Model: it's the level above second-order ignorance, at which a learner develops the ability to recognize their own errors and self-correct.

It's not immediately clear to me if I have a place to slot in the Four Stages into my current teaching and research. More specifically, it's not yet clear to me that its two-dimensional space captures the what I try to assess in my students, or rather, that it the taxonomy leads me to more effective teaching or assessment. However, it has a nice ring to it, a kind of elegance that's easy to show and explain. I suspect this is where it will be most useful: to help novice learners become more metacognitive, which may in turn make them more receptive to advice on how to learn more effectively.

3 comments:

  1. I certainly think the four stages of competence model applies a little bit better to physical skills and things like diet / nutrition. IE for skills where the individual is clearly unconsciously incompetent.

    As far as intellectual pursuits and programming is concerned usually one would think that by choosing to pursue a CS degree one is already on the way out of stage 1, but I'm sure you've seen anything and everything in between over the years. I guess a stage 1 student regardless of intelligence would be someone who asks w/ an indignant attitude, "What could you possibly teach me?"

    I did a quick google for 4 stages of competence and computer programming and this popped up - https://translatedby.com/you/the-four-stages-of-programming-competence/original/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michael!

      That link is interesting. It got me thinking about that Stage 1 student as the "copy-paster." I think we see more of that now than we did in the past, where students think that the solution to a problem is to find a similar thing via Google or StackOverflow and post that as _the_ answer. Talking to folks outside of Computer Science, they say they see a similar phenomenon, which I've heard attributed variously to the testing-culture of schools (that every problem has an answer, and you just have to find it) and ease of access to information (don't bother thinking, just search Google).

      Delete
    2. To clarify too: We're not just seeing this at the first-semester freshman level. It's something we're seeing creeping much further into the curriculum than we are comfortable with!

      Delete