Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Dungeon Crawl Classics: Putting the Family through the Funnel

I picked up the Dungeon Crawl Classics Humble Bundle many months ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the core rules. This was my first foray into OSR gaming, and I was blown away by the scholarly nature of Joseph Goodman's magnum opus. For those who are unfamiliar, let me summarize by explaining that when Goodman calls you to "adventure as 1974 intended you to," he really means it. The aesthetic heart of Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG is in Appendix N. In this appendix, Goodman explains that Gary Gygax, in the 1979 AD&D Dungeonmaster Guide's own Appendix N, lists the fantasy and science fiction novels that inspired him. In his own eponymous appendix then, Goodman explains his research process—that he took a deep dive into these inspirational works so that he could emerge with a mid-1970s vision of fantasy role-playing adventures. My own survey of Robert E. Howard's Conan's stories enabled my perspective to expand, and so I am duly impressed by the rigorous methodology that Goodman followed, balanced with admiration and perhaps a bit of jealousy.

After my initial reading of DCC RPG, I reached out to several friends and encouraged them to check it out. My copy then sat on my digital bookshelf for some time. A week or two ago, I realized that it had been some time since I had the "I want to play tabletop role-playing games with my family" urge, and this surprised me. That momentary realization started the snowball that became the avalanche, and I found myself re-reading DCC RPG and convincing my family to give it a shot.

All six of us came to the table to play on Sunday afternoon. I had explained to them about "the funnel," which I think is one of the most wonderful concepts in DCC RPG. I gave each of them four zero-level characters, which I generated using Purple Sorcerer's excellent online tools. These twenty schlubs were going to go into "The Portal Under the Stars," which is the funnel adventure provided in the DCC RPG rulebook.

I explained to them that the characters were all randomly generated and walked through the basics of the character sheets. I asked them to name their characters. Alignments are important in DCC RPG, and I gave them the option of choosing right away whether the characters were Lawful, Neutral, or Chaotic; however, I think everyone took the other option, which was to leave it blank and resolve it during role-playing later. The older three players chose what one might broadly call "genre-appropriate" fantasy names. The eight-year-old named his characters with traditional English-language names: Andy, Jimmy, and Joe. The six-year-old seemed to pull his names from the other things we talked about during the rules explanation: Old, Farmer, and Loc (which is pronounced, and probably a misspelling of, "Luck"). His other character was named Cram, and no one knows where that came from.

From this point on, there are many spoilers of from The Portal Under the Stars. You've been warned!

The adventure starts with all the characters and their menagerie standing before a magical door. I mention the menagerie because these 0-level characters begin with just the basic tools of their occupations, and we had excellent representation from the agricultural sector: as twenty men and women looked at the magic door, they were joined by a cow, a goat, a hen, and a duck. The door is clearly magical from its markings and origin, and so there is obviously some kind of puzzle or mystery involved. You've already read my spoiler warning, so I will just come out and say that the door becomes unlocked and untrapped if the players wait until the stars align with the constellations shown on the door. 

I am no expert in level design, but I would like to posit that this is a bad opening for an adventure. Anything the players do besides wait is going to be wrong, and waiting is neither obvious nor interesting. If a player looks to try to determine whether the constellations are in line and fails that one Intelligence check, then they are stuck fumbling about and taking trap damage from the door. My wife, who had been hesitant to join, even shouted out how this was "just like last time" we played an RPG, where we got to a door and got stuck. I wish I could remember that actual situation (and I haven't asked her to jog my memory, partly out of fear), but I think it drives home a more general design point. Doors by themselves are not interesting, and a puzzle that requires you to do nothing is more like a meta-puzzle, something to make grognards chuckle but that has no resonance with new players.

Once they had the door open, Old was the first one to cross into the dungeon proper. The trap in this room was eventually triggered, four spears being thrown at the party. Old was spared, but the other three were direct hits and kills—or so we thought. One of my wife's characters was a mercenary with Hide Armor, which was the only armor in the whole game. When I asked players for their Armor Classes, everyone read what was given on their sheets. However, it turns out those Purple Sorcerer character sheets do not take into account armor when listing the character's default AC. It was a life-and-death difference for her character, whom we role-played as having a near-death experience from the impact of the spear that didn't quite go through his armor.

This was, incidentally, not our first misreading of those convenient Purple Sorcerer sheets. Armor is listed merely as an inventory item with no stats given, but weapons are listed together with the player's to-hit bonus and their damage bonus. Reading across the sheet then, a character with 13 strength is shown as having a "+1" modifier, then their club (for example) is listed as "Club +1 (1d6 +1)". Those are all the same +1, listed multiple times, but some of the players regularly misread this as meaning the club had a +1 and also they had a +1 from their Strength, for a total of +2. I mention this here in case it is helpful to other new players: as cool as the Purple Sorcerer sheets are, they have some idiosyncrasies that are not the way I would prefer the information presented to new players.

The party moved more slowly into the next room, which was the central room of the dungeon, doors on each of the four walls. One of the players set off the trap here, which put everyone in peril, so we rolled initiative to see who would do what. DCC RPG generally uses individual initiative, but for the funnel, we followed its advice and had each player roll once for the characters under their control. The 11-year-old was first, and he had his guys run back to the chamber they came from. The 6-year-old was next, and he had his characters run through a different door into the unknown. I had assumed he would follow his brother's lead, and I was getting ready to have his characters roll against his brother's to see who would get to safety; I never expected him to go through a new door. We'll come back to that point, but for now, suffice it to say that this put all of his guys in immediate mortal danger as well. Now the party was fighting danger on two fronts, which was cinematic gold. 

The party survived with a few casualties, but let me digress for a moment to an interesting conversation from the family's reflection. In a conversation with my wife and the older kids, I tried to express my concern that the youngest son, after choosing to send his characters into an unknown room, likely did not possess the abstract thinking skills to determine whether this was a good or a bad idea. My wife heard this differently and got defensive, saying that she did not like the implication that there was a "right" and a "wrong" way to play it if we were supposed to be role-playing. For her, I think this is a sticking point of role-playing games: she recognizes that one one hand, you are role-playing, but on another hand, there is a tactical, resource management aspect. However, that wasn't my point: I was not so concerned that he went into the unknown, even though it's not at all what I would have had my characters do, but that, given his age, he likely doesn't have the tools to even frame that question. Put another way, it was perfectly reasonable to jump through a doorway that may contain danger to escape a room that certainly contains danger, but I'm not sure he can really weigh the implications or reflect on it as an adult would. It's a curious thing to play with children.

Later in the adventure, the party entered a room that contained six crystalline humanoids who moved slowly but ominously toward the party. The players did not know if they would attack or not, and after some uncertainty, one of my wife's characters hurled a hand axe at one of them. This turned out to be a mistake. It prompted the creatures to defend themselves, and it was quite the melee. I think this battle took out half of the remaining characters, including Old, who had become something of an icon. I had encouraged the players not to make Old such a central figure: I could see how my youngest son would not move him off the front line, even after he miraculously survived many chances with death. I was afraid he would die, and die he did. To my youngest son's credit, he got a little misty, but he moved forward with Loc, his one remaining character.

The final major encounter of the adventure is interesting. It presents, on its own, an almost insurmountable challenge, but other actions that the party takes in the dungeon can make it manageable. Indeed, my family's characters had inadvertently done everything they could to facilitate success in the final room. It was awkward, then, when the adventure's read-aloud text described the room as if none of these things had happened; I had to stumble through a few sentences and improvise alternatives in a way that the other rooms had not required. 

The party found the secret treasure room, which contained a desiccated corpse, evidence of evil activity, and some clues about the background of the whole adventure. There was another odd bit of writing here, where the corpse was referred to by its in-fiction role, but there was no way that the players would have known this at the time. Given the popularity of this module, I would have expected that to be edited more tightly. In any case, whether because the few remaining characters were not interested in dying, or because their players were just tired, the party decided to grab the loot and skedaddle. It was ironic, then, when my wife said that there weren't any indications in the dungeon of what it was all about: Who was buried there? What happened to them? In fact, clues were available, but the party took the arguably wiser risk-averse approach: grab the treasure and avoid the corpse. 

Playing the adventure reminded me how secret doors and traps, if not handled well, really destroy the rhythm of a game. If you allow that secret doors or traps can be anywhere, then players are forced into looking for them everywhere, which is not interesting. There are parts of the module that have really interesting traps, such as the central chamber mentioned above: there's something that clearly looks dangerous, and the party can consider what to do about it. It also contains a secret door that has no indicators in the fiction that it exists. I will have to keep my eye out for this as I look at some of the first-level modules, keeping myself open to modifying them to remove what I consider bad game design elements. Incidentally, I mentioned this frustration in an online discussion, and I was pointed toward The Angry GM's article, "Traps Suck." I agree with the spirit of his article, and it's good to see other people taking a design-oriented look at these tropes.

I believe my family is interested in continued adventures after the funnel. I noticed something really surprising in reviewing their characters after the adventure: not a one of the survivors has a Strength higher than 10, and only one of the deceased characters had a Strength as high as 13. I had not reviewed the character attributes ahead of time, but I expected that random distribution would give us a greater range of highs and lows. That, of course, would make it pretty easy to determine who might step up to the role of Warrior. At first I was taken aback, but then I thought about it, and it's actually quite interesting: in this town, from which twenty randos risked life and limb to retrieve hidden treasure, they didn't have any brawny men to lead them into the fray. Now, the survivors have a taste for adventure, and some will have to devote themselves to martial study, not because of their strength but despite it.

Running tabletop roleplaying games is a funny thing. I used to do it every weekend when I was younger, but that was before I had anything like access to the networks that I have now. I could only learn by reflection and by the very limited number of other peoples' games I played in. Now, there are endless resources for learning about running games. It's a skill that sometimes I fantasize about developing further, which I think is in part because of the realization of my weaknesses when I was younger. Playing DCC RPG was a good weight for me, since the rules are fairly simple, the challenges are immediate, and the module I ran—despite my criticisms—was certainly competent. I have enjoyed some of the more narrative games my family has explored in recent years, such as FATE and Dungeon World. I think DCC RPG might be at the right weight for me to run family games more regularly with just a minimal threading of narrative between modules.

9 comments:

  1. What a fun update on some old school adventure time.

    A side tangent here... I've definitely got back into D&D for social fun during the pandemic, but some coding too. I've been working with Foundry VTT (https://foundryvtt.com/) from the programming side. Put out by a solo indie developer, but state of the art for a virtual table top way ahead of the incumbent players in the space. It has a very friendly 3rd party API support to extend it whether creating your own game system or building modules that extend functionality. Conceivably it could be used as a platform for a game programming course. Anyway.. Very friendly and helpful development community surrounding it though mainly just on two Discord servers.

    I'm working on releasing some dev tools for Foundry VTT shortly:
    https://github.com/typhonjs-fvtt

    Mainly an integrated build / bundle CLI tool using Rollup under the hood that hopefully will eventually include unbundle / Snowpack like features for a very rapid development cycle.

    The bundle part is based on this starter repo using Rollup that can kick start building a module for Foundry VTT:
    https://github.com/typhonjs-fvtt/demo-rollup-module

    Anyway do keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, great to hear from you!

      I didn't know you were working with Foundry--that's amazing! I have an alumnus who is a big fan of the project and told me about it last year.

      What kind of D&D have you found works best for you these days? I tinkered very briefly with 5e before exploring some other directions, spending the most time with ICRPG so far. But of course, when I say "the most time", I mean we played it 3-4 times instead of once! When my older boys were younger, we did a few sessions of PDQ as well, which is hard to beat for lightweight narrative rules, but required a lot from me in terms of making content.

      Delete
    2. I'm spending a fair amount of time w/ 5e these days as that is what most folks know. The majority of my experience was beer & pretzels around the table shenanigans in years past, so never found a good group to really get into things properly. Certainly had to get caught up on 5e and various rules. Currently I'm playing in a few friends online campaigns. One of them is an old school player / DM running 80s modules w/ 5e mechanics, so getting to experience some classic modules which has been fun; IE cult of the reptile god era, etc. Another an Eberron experience. One of these on Roll20, so I can thoroughly understand how it's not the best VTT.. ;P

      I'm in the process of designing my own 5e homebrew pocket dimension around existing 3rd party modules & my own modifying the Foundry VTT experience. I'm building the story around the players being able to come from anywhere in the material plane / multi-verse so many varied source books are fair game for character creation including Explorers guide to Wildemount, Eberron, Volo's and all the other main core books. This gets me having to investigate the larger D&D world along with the players also getting to draw from it. I'm using D&D Beyond for character creation / management / importing assets into Foundry, but everything stays in Foundry once the campaign starts.

      Foundry VTT supports SRD mechanics for D&D 5e, but I'll be building private modules for my campaign that work out the mechanics for the full suite of the party based on characters created along with adding graphical effects for skills, spells, attacks, etc. Been wracking my brain over how to work out an Echo Knight for streamlined automation / play and almost there; the RAW is not as conclusive as it could be for this subclass. Of course the player selecting it is the one that likes to run ahead of the party.

      The main mechanics I'm working on is having an unexplored world map of limited size traversed through strict fog of war movement / vision for the party and various groups of adversaries. So I'm building support for terrain penalties and movement restriction along with hooking things into a time / calendar system for travel time and night / day cycles.

      An example of a quality of life mod. Since there will be a lot of camping in this regard I'm building an automatic camp rolling feature with some dialog options selectable then any rolls done with a press of a button choosing the PC w/ the highest ability vs having to ask players for a roll manually.

      Delete
    3. Also using a 3rd party quest log / tracking system so many open quests from main to side potentially though I'm considering writing a comprehensive quest tracking system. Along with a town notice board module for players to consult in locations travelled for side quests and flavor.

      I'll be using battle maps, but also building a VTT theater of the mind setup which allows quick switching of background scenes without having to create unique scenes in Foundry. IE be able to build up a DB of background scenes attached to world locations as the campaign unfolds.

      Now the one thing I'm doing is trying to build these extra tools and module extensions that provides better organization for the mechanics I'm exploring, but not spend the time fully fleshing out the world before the campaign starts.

      The latest 0.8.x series of Foundry VTT releases are beginning which are a bit confusing 0.8.0 is an alpha dev only release and things won't be stable in the 0.8.x series until 0.8.3/4 probably around April / May. So I'm building the modules w/ the new underlying data model architecture which as things go the upside to Foundry is that you get access to the client code and can read through it; the downside is that there isn't the greatest documentation and no developer guides and while the Discord servers are full of helpful folks it's not the best for developer onboarding, but I've been working w/ Foundry since November. IE there was no Rollup demo module repo when I started.

      Now I can't shake the dev tools bugs and will be releasing those as open source. I do hope to be able to package up the 3rd party modules I make and sell those commercially, but that remains to be seen if that is viable. Typically trap; everyone else is releasing free open source modules so will players / DMs pay for something of quality that will actually be maintained?

      Having fun though and this got me back coding after a long sabbatical. Lucky to have the flexibility to work on this full time over the coming months and maybe it just might become a self sustaining side hustle. ;P

      Heh heh.. yeah long response..

      Delete
    4. That's amazing! You're in pretty deep! :)

      The module you're working on sounds almost like it could be a single-player experience, if you put in enough automation. Is that one of the targets, or is it more like tool-support for DMs?

      The question of commercializing content is an interesting one. I have not taken a deep dive into what is available, free or cost, since I got that DCC Humble Bundle that provided enough to peruse for now. (Although, a conversation on Prof. DM's Discord also pointed me toward "Tomb of the Serpent King.") A guy like me is mostly looking for strong recommendations, and I'm willing to spend discretionary income on something that looks interesting---which is how I ended up with books like DCC & ICRPG.

      Delete
    5. It's been interesting for sure and nice to update my tooling / expertise with a creative result. A bit of a clarification in regard to Foundry VTT 3rd party development. Making a "system" refers to programming a game system and "module" refers to programming an extension to Foundry that may or may not be tied to a "system" or work across all game systems. Foundry is neat because it gives 3rd party developers access to the full client API to develop custom extensions to the platform. Hence why it also might be an interesting thing to investigate as far as a game programming course w/ modern web technology may be concerned.

      The folks that have a chance to make a living / side hustle right now are content creators and there are more and more premium content modules for purchase built for Foundry. Some of which depend on 3rd party code modules for extra neat integration support.

      There are 700+ code module extensions to Foundry or thereabout / about ~100 game systems; almost all open source and free. Lots of hobby / new coders making modules and systems along with experienced coders doing it in their free time. Not all are maintained well. It certainly becomes a chore to create any popular module you put out for free and then folks use it and want improvements. Let alone Foundry itself still being in a rapidly developing platform; IE mentioning the pain in the recently released 0.8.x versions which won't be stable for a few months. It will be interesting to see how many existing code modules become delisted / defunct.

      What I'm looking to do put out commercially is a suite of code module extensions that aid in the open world style of GMing. IE extensions that could apply to any game system and a lot having to do with managing a world map with dynamic content. Hence also working on my own campaign using this tooling.
      Hard to say if that will be a success due to the current expectation by end users being used to getting all of the 3rd party code modules for free.

      Foundry VTT has crossed the chasm so to speak from the stages of technology adoption, but still in the mid to late "early adopters" stage. It's still quite impressive with ~50-70k installations by my rough estimate. Within the next year it might be feasible for 3rd party code module commercial development. Trying to get in there early in that regard though coin flip if it all works out.

      Delete
    6. Re: content modules. I like to peruse DriveThruRPG for off brand modules and content D&D or not related in regard for content ideas / adventures.

      Delete
  2. Cram belonged to the 8-year-old. The 6-year-old's fourth character was "Handye" or a similar phonetic spelling with a curly flourish in the "a" so it looked like Hundye. Easy to forget. ��

    I will have to keep reading the blog for the spoilers you won't share at the table. We looked at the books in that secret room, and they were not in a language we understood. Unless we tried something really occult, which the situation didn't seem to warrant at any level, I wonder if there was something else we could have done.

    What was the other game with the door? The door was nothing special, in a mountainside or the like, set in a nondescript anteroom. When we finally opened it some kind of rock monster started shambling towards us?

    A kid remembered more, that we were adventuring for some kind of secrets, and when we finally opened the door, Rock Spirits were just sitting in our way and we couldn't figure it out. When we got impatient and finally turned hostile then they attacked us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In case others wondered... After some offline discussion, I remember that the magic door and rock monsters came from our first attempt at playing Dungeon World. It was a scene I improvised after character creation, and it was not great. I had meant to blog about that experience, but I don't think I ever did, and now the memories are kind of foggy.

      Delete