Sunday, August 1, 2021

Sharing my notes from watching MST3K with the family

I'm a longtime fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000, and I have enjoyed sharing this fandom with my family. Some episodes are better than others, and some are really just inappropriate for kids, in my opinion. I have never seen this factored into a published list of favorite episodes. Some episodes stick out so strongly in my mind that I know I would never watch them with the kids, like Sidehackers. Others though have led us into honest mistakes: a few years ago, some of us watched the fan-favorite classic Space Mutiny, and I had completely forgotten about the uncomfortable sexualized dancing and implications of the main characters' sleeping together. 

All four of my boys enjoy watching the show, and we have been able to enjoy many episodes together without any uncomfortable parental reactions. I decided that this experience may be something interesting that I can share with the community. Hence, I started a new project: MST3K with Kids. It's a simple page on GitHub where I have shared my list of some of our favorite episodes, some episodes we watched but didn't enjoy so much, and some that we're just keeping away from the family for now. I hope that someone finds it useful.

I put it on GitHub rather than here since I figured it would be easier to update. I suppose I could be open to community contributions as well, although I recognize that interpretations of family-appropriateness are sometimes subjective.

No comments:

Post a Comment