Friday, April 14, 2023

It tolls for thee

On Thursday, I had the opportunity to visit a high school and talk to some students about Computer Science. I brought two of my own students with me. We arrived early so that we could get signed in and set up. As we were getting oriented in our room, there was a piercing monotone played over the PA system. We all assumed that this was the "bell" to change classes, and one of our hosts confirmed that this was true. A few minutes later, the PA played an alternating pitch, a series of tones akin to an ambulance. Indeed, it sounded like an alarm. One of my students started from her seat, and the three of us looked up at each other. Seeing that our host was unperturbed, we asked what that sound indicated. He told us that it was a warning that class-change time was half over.

The school played a terrifying sound over the loudspeaker, and no one was terrified but us.

School seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment