Monday, March 14, 2022

Painting Myth: Dark Frontier—the City of Farrenroc

Remember how, back in 2018, I painted the heroes from Myth: Dark Frontier, and I said I didn't have any plans to paint Farrenroc, the modular city miniature? Well, some time after that post—but I cannot figure out exactly when—I did prep the city for painting. Then it sat for years either on my desk or, later, in a box on my shelf. Now, however, I find myself in a situation where I would really like to reclaim the corks that the pieces were glued to. This, of all things, inspired me to finally finish the city.

My city never did fit together very well. Prior to priming it, I used my hobby knife to carve one large hunks of plastic from the undersides of the pieces in order for them to fit together better. After painting and priming it, I have just reclaimed those corks and so, after four years, have reassembled the city. I wish the fit were tighter, but it it is what it is. I think it looks pretty good, and like so many models, it looks so much nicer than grey plastic.

Farrenroc (complete, front)

Farrenroc (complete, back)

Farrenroc (partially disassembled, front)

Farrenroc (completely disassembled, front)

For those who don't know, Myth: Dark Frontier has the players cooperating to defend the city of Farrenroc. As it takes damage, you remove pieces from it. When all ten of the pieces are removed, you have lost the game.

When I was getting ready to paint it, I was inspired by sneth's paint job that was posted to Board Game Geek. It looks like a straightforward base layer, maybe a drybrush, and a wash, plus some clever use of flock. This was my intention going in, although I wanted the city to be more white, since my recollection is that the fluff describes the city as such. My "white" is actually a mix of white with a spot of yellow ochre and gray. It can be hard to get good coverage with white, and after four of five layers, I was both more familiar with the pieces and less satisfied with my decision. I used a bit of yellow ochre originally with the idle thought of doing some blue highlights, and once I started adding these, I got to really enjoy the theme. Bright white and dark blue look regal and orderly, but it still wasn't quite the right amount of contrast for me, based on the shapes of the pieces. I then added the grey, and I'm happy with this color choice.

I painted the base with a blend of blacks and browns to give it a charred, wasted look at the end of the game. I thought about doing something similar for the inside faces that get revealed as pieces are removed, such as the one you see at about 10:00 in the last image above. However, I could not think of  way to get them to look like rubble since it's just a solid wall of plastic. Black and brown didn't seem right, but I didn't want to try to paint in white, blue, and grey rubble either. I ended up leaving them in my white base coat.

That's all for now. I'll try to get Dark Frontier to the table again sometime soon. I am sure we haven't played in years, but I remember enjoying it. Stay tuned to the blog to find out what I needed all these extra corks for.

No comments:

Post a Comment