Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Summer course revisions 2024: Game Programming (CS315)

It's time again for Summer Course Revisions. I spent this week focused on my Game Programming course, which is a junior-level elective for most students and required for the Game Design & Development concentration. I think it is one of my best courses, and I feel good about the general stability of it.

In preparation for revisions, I went back to my notes from last year, including my reflective blog post from last Fall and my notes from reading Grading for Growth. I also referenced my internal notes, which I keep in my course planning spreadsheet. The most important things I came across here were: a reflection on the idea of using "more hurdles" instead of "higher hurdles" for specifications grading; and the need clean up how stars were earned on the final project to remove shortcuts. The latter is something I will have to consider later in Fall since, to address the former, I decided to make a dramatic change in the grading scheme.

This course is where I pioneered checklist-based grading, which I also wrote about in an academic paper. As my post from last Fall makes it clear, though, something shifted in my teaching experience that led to significant frustrations with that approach. I suspect the causes are cultural and not personal, but you have to negotiate with a system. I decided to try an alternative inspired by Joshua Bowman's work that is documented in Grading for Growth. In particular, I am replacing the higher-hurdles specs approach with atomic, clear goals and multi-tiered resubmission. The overall structure of the semester will be the same, and I expect the primary student activity to be exactly the same; the changes are almost entirely in the activity systems around assessment.

I have rewritten the first three weeks' assignments as a proof of concept. For each, I removed the checklists and replaced them by an articulation of essential and auxiliary goals. The essential goals are always required for a satisfactory grade, and when there are auxiliary ones, a subset of them are required. Each goal is graded on a four point scale. Successful has an obvious meaning. Needs minor revision is for the cases where it's mostly right, but something crucial needs to be addressed to show understanding. These minor revisions can be done within three days, accompanied by a short report explaining what went wrong. New attempt required is for cases where something critical is wrong; related to that is Incomplete, for work that is not done. These latter two require a more significant reworking by the student, and I've put in a throttle similar to what I use in CS222: one resubmission per week. 

Concomitant with this change is a revision to course grades. I have written before and done several experiments regarding the assigning of course grades. One of the things I really liked about my old approach to Game Programming in particular was that it was easy to give each week equal contribution to the final grade. However, exercises are now being evaluated as either satisfactory or unsatisfactory, and it's not clear that this categorical data makes sense "averaged" with other data. I have put together a simple specification table, akin to what I did last Fall in CS222.

I am hopeful that this approach will alleviate some of the frustration of students' mismanaging the checklist system. It narrows the number of things students need to think about at the cost that each item is slightly larger now. 

I have not written up policies for the midsemester exam and the final project yet, but my inkling is to pull out specific objectives in which each student must individually show competency. This would represent something much more like a transition from "higher hurdles" to "more hurdles," as long as I can make the hurdles roughly the same size. I am also considering dropping the team requirement from this course. Teamwork is common but not essential to game development. The students in the GDD concentration will have opportunities to work in teams in the production capstone sequence, where the students from other majors won't have teamwork experience anyway. I would rather my CS students' skills be all up to snuff coming into that sequence than that they've already been introduced to interdisciplinary teamwork concepts that will have to be in that sequence anyway.

The other major change for Game Programming is more technical. For years, I've maintained my own websites for my courses, and I've done that for three main reasons: it gives me complete control over the presentation and public nature of the content; it gives me reliability in case of the campus systems' going down; and I can use my software development knowledge to separate model and view. My system for representing, rendering, and downloading checklists was pretty robust, but its assumptions also weaved through the whole course site. When I started reconfiguring my template to handle these changes, I ran into common Web development frustrations: changing dependencies, confusing errors from libraries, and CSS. I decided to pivot and just put all the content onto GitHub. This is what I did with my games capstone and preproduction classes last year as an experiment. It's not ideal, but it meets several of my needs. 

You can find the current draft of my course plan at https://github.com/doctor-g/cs315Fa24 in case you want to take a look. As usual, the content is licensed under CC BY, so feel free to adapt it for your own teaching and learning purposes. I wanted to experiment with how Canvas might link to the individual exercises and their assessment goals, but Fall's schedule isn't loaded into Canvas yet, which points to yet another reason not to bind one's course planning to that platform.

UPDATE: After doing a bunch of work to get Fall's CS222 page working as a non-SPA lit page, I've revised the Game Programming site to match. Markdown is great for many things, but it's bad for automation and separation of data and presentation. It leaves me hungry for a more eloquent text+programming environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment